not even ten minutes into driving here and my dormant californian driving aggression has already stirred. perhaps it is because i am driving a red car for the first time in my life and i kind of love it. the color, not the car, which amazingly has roll down windows! why is this still an option? i thought it, like scrunchies and my high school ride (below), went the way of the dodo.
- what moms drive: lexus RX 300/400 while texting
- commodity car: toyota corolla / hyundai accent
- average driving skill level: 7 or 8 on a scale of 10
- aggressive driving means: speeding
- actual highway speed vs posted limit: 75 mph vs 65 mph
- achieved gas mileage: 30 mpg
- a car wash is required: every two weeks due to dust and the fact that it never rains in socal
- bicyclists: think they own the road and ride side by side in packs for all of 101, far beyond what the bike lanes allow. generally hated by drivers.
- pedestrians: pffff. as if.
- what moms drive: toyota sienna while eyeing kids in rearview mirror more than the road
- commodity car: chevy aveo
- average driving skill level: 5 out of 10. not sure what an average 5 in driving actually is but this 5 is the weighted average of a bunch of 2’s and 8’s.
- aggressive driving means: cutting off the line of waiting cars at the 90/94 & 55 merge. everyone else is doing it — why can’t i?
- actual highway speed vs posted limit: 30mph vs 60mph, due to traffic at all times of the day. we’ve concluded that no one in chicago actually works because everyone is on the road, all the time.
- achieved gas mileage: 20-25 mpg
- a car wash is required: once every three months. plenty of city dirt, but it rains.
- bicyclists: respected, yet overwhelmingly feared by drivers, due to narrow lanes and potholes that must be suddenly averted (without signalling) by drivers and bikers alike
- pedestrians: know to look both ways before jaywalking. check plus.
- what moms drive: minivans of all sorts, even overpriced american-made ones
- commodity car: dodge neon
- average driving skill level: 6 out of 10 (4 out of 10 when it rains). people know the rules but execute them sooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooowly that i take a few points off.
- aggressive driving means: driving at the speed limit. merging when the sign says you must (less than 500 feet from merge), as opposed to merging at the first warning sign two miles out.
- actual highway speed vs posted limit: 55 mph vs 65 mph
- achieved gas mileage: 30 mpg. no traffic! ever.
- a car wash is required: only after a long distance drive, just to get the splatter of dead insects off the grill.
- bicyclists: so few i barely noticed them
- pedestrians: walk as if in fact blind. check minus.